This is not the end, but it is the beginning of the end…
Can’t wait for the PMOS’ explanation tomorrow. “There is no Lord Levy in Downing Street, there is no other email system, from which nothing was deleted, no honours were sold etc…”
Guido was in the supermarket when he heard the news. He left the fruit and veg and proceeded to the champagnes. Well why not…
They have obtained a transcript of a speech given to a private Smith Institute invited audience, which included Brown acolytes Ed Balls and Douglas Alexander, as well as other media allies. Shrum advised the Brownites to brand Cameron as “an empty opportunist who will do anything to win”.
The event was held to review Cameron’s first 100 days in March 2006.
Guido understands that a formal complaint to the Charity Commissioners requesting a full-scale investigation of the Smith Institute under Section 8 of the Charity Act will be considered by the Charity Commission today.
++ more follows ++
Apparently Labour staffers are in the shit, since they are supposed to be impartial. Which means Sheila Murphy, Labour’s Northern Director and Barrie Grunewald, Regional Director Yorks and Humber, will have to explain themselves to Hilary Benn and Alan Johnson, who are both in their regional care.
Life won’t be any easier for Felicity Williams, General Secretary of the Wales TUC who is in a politically restricted post, nor Lynn Glaister, Welsh Regional Officer and Arlene Ainsley – Regional Officer for the North of England.
One thing is for sure, Joe Carberry, Hain’s researcher and the author of the document along with Phil Taylor, Hain’s SpAd, are not going to be popular with the boss or his supporters after this screw up…
Particularly amusing to see listed is the promise by Harriet Harman’s PPS, Martin Linton, that he will publicly support her rival for deputy leader. What is clear is the total state of paralysis gripping the party of government as all minds are focused on positioning. Poor the Harriet…
Download Peter Hain’s “Strategy and Supporters” list here.
“A few years ago the debate was about whether the media controlled politicians or whether politicians controlled the media. Now it is about how we are all responding to the explosive power of citizens, consumers and bloggers.”
- Will you publish a full list of all events held at Number 11 Downing Street by the Smith Institute?
- Have any costs for Smith Institute events held at Number 11 been subsidised by you or the Treasury in any way? If so, what has been the total cost to the taxpayer of hosting these events?
- What are the criteria by which applications to hold events at Number 11 are judged?
- What is the number of applications you have received to hold events at Number 11; the number accepted and the number declined?
- Will you list those charities that have been refused permission to hold events at Number 11?
- Have any other Treasury facilities been provided for the purpose of hosting Smith Institute events?
- On how many occasions have you personally attended Smith Institute events?
- Has the Smith Institute ever provided you with any personal benefits? If so, have you declared such benefits (a) to the Register of Members Interest and (b) to the Electoral Commission
- Have you ever solicited donations for the Smith Institute?
- Can you provide assurances that there is no conflict of interest between anyone who has donated to the Smith Institute and your actions as Chancellor of the Exchequer?