Below Guido tracks the government’s spin on the Trident misfire over the last 48 hours:
- Saturday night: Sunday Times reports “serious malfunction” during Trident test, missile “may have veered off in the wrong direction towards America”.
- MoD says in a statement that it was “successfully tested and certified”.
- Sunday: On Marr, Theresa May refuses to answer questions about what she knew and when.
- Monday morning: Number 10 spokesman insists the test was “successful” in certifying the crew and submarine. Says May was informed. Won’t say if she was told about any ‘misfire’.
- Monday afternoon: Michael Fallon tells Commons not to “believe everything you read” in Sunday Times. Won’t say what in their report is inaccurate. Says test was “successful” and “satisfactory“. Won’t comment on details of any ‘misfire’.
- May repeats the “successful” line in pool interview.
- While Fallon is speaking, US official tells CNN the test ended in failure, and that rather than “veering” towards the US coast, the trajectory was part of an automatic self-destruct sequence.
The government’s line from Saturday night to Monday afternoon is that the test was “successful”. The US now say it was a failure…