Norman Baker, the LibDem Over-Regulator
A co-conspirator points out that Norman Baker, the left-wing LibDem former Environment shadow backed David Taylor’s Bill
to make it more difficult to light your cigarettes yesterday. Maybe he didn’t get Ming’s memo telling them we “must regulate less, legislate less”
The Bill has a second reading on Friday 20th October. Perhaps a real liberal will oppose it?
UPDATE : First post relaunch eNews from Cowley Street arrives in the inbox:
- LibDem Education Spokesperson, Stephen Williams MP wants the BBC to stop using the word “gay”. He also says “gay people are almost invisible on the BBC”. What? Are there any straight men presenting childrens TV? The bloke who does economics has a diamond stud in his ear for crissake, the showbiz reporters, the camp newsreaders? Is Stephen’s Gaydar broke?
- Sarah Teather wants to increase spending on schools
- Andrew Stunell MP wants to increase spending on housing
- Mark Hunter MP wants more money spent on roads
- Baroness Walmsley is worried about sexy cheerleader porn
- Baroness Northover wants more company regulation
- Lord Razzall, to his credit, want less corporate regulation
What happened to “regulate less, legislate less and tax less”? What is liberal about banning words and sexy cheerleaders? Apart from Razzall, Ming’s relaunch speech has failed to make any impression on his own frontbench.