A Taxing Question for Labour

The fact that polling shows that 69% of voters support the benefit cap, leaves Guido wondering about the other 31%. If taxpayers knew how much they were personally contributing to these handouts, you would imagine that 31% figure would be a lot lower. Enter backbench Tory MP Ben Gummer, whose plan to print a break down of taxes on a statement sent to every taxpayer, every year, has got a lot of attention this morning. The Sun are liking it and the Telegraph claim:

“If you were to discover, for instance, that £4,000 of the £10,000 you have paid in tax and NICs for the year went on welfare, it might put the argument over capping benefits into a different context.”

A sample PDF of the document is here and apparently the Treasury are listening. There is a 10 Minute Rule Bill issue tomorrow, and Guido is scratching his head to see how the Labour can justifiably oppose the idea. Any additional cost would be minimal given that statements, minus the breakdown, are already sent out. Hard to argue that people should be kept in the dark about their own money…



Tip offs: 0709 284 0531
team@Order-order.com

Quote of the Day

Labour MP Jamie Reed:

“I apologise to every man, woman and child in this country who needs a Labour government.”

Top Posts This Week

Guidogram: Sign up

Subscribe to the most succinct 7 days a week daily email read by thousands of Westminster insiders.

Facebook

£500,000 EXPENSES FRAUDSTER MEP JAILED £500,000 EXPENSES FRAUDSTER MEP JAILED
SEUMAS MILNE PRAISES HAMAS SEUMAS MILNE PRAISES HAMAS
ALLEGED GRANNY BASHER MP IN COURT TODAY ALLEGED GRANNY BASHER MP IN COURT TODAY
CORBYN AGREES BBC ARE “ZIONIST LIARS” CORBYN AGREES BBC ARE “ZIONIST LIARS”
LABOUR IN CRISIS LABOUR IN CRISIS
KHAN ON KEN, KEN ON KHAN KHAN ON KEN, KEN ON KHAN
CORBYN’S CALLAGHAN MOMENT CORBYN’S CALLAGHAN MOMENT
BERNARD JENKIN ACCUSES NO. 10 OF CASH FOR QUESTIONS BERNARD JENKIN ACCUSES NO. 10 OF CASH FOR QUESTIONS
JOHN MANN TELLS KEN “YOU’RE A F**KING DISGRACE” JOHN MANN TELLS KEN “YOU’RE A F**KING DISGRACE”
KHAN CAMPAIGNED FOR NAZ SHAH, DEFENDED KEN ON ANTI-SEMITISM KHAN CAMPAIGNED FOR NAZ SHAH, DEFENDED KEN ON ANTI-SEMITISM
KEN: “HITLER WAS SUPPORTING ZIONISM” KEN: “HITLER WAS SUPPORTING ZIONISM”
NEUBERGER AND LEVY ON LABOUR’S ANTI-SEMITISM NEUBERGER AND LEVY ON LABOUR’S ANTI-SEMITISM
RUPA HUQ DEFENDS NAZ SHAH’S ANTI-SEMITISM RUPA HUQ DEFENDS NAZ SHAH’S ANTI-SEMITISM
Carly Fiorina Sings Lullaby Carly Fiorina Sings Lullaby
BRADFORD COUNCILLOR POSTED GOEBBELS NAZI FILM “THE ETERNAL JEW” BRADFORD COUNCILLOR POSTED GOEBBELS NAZI FILM “THE ETERNAL JEW”
NAZ SHAH SUSPENDED BY LABOUR NAZ SHAH SUSPENDED BY LABOUR
Naz Shah’s Pro-Hamas Tweets Naz Shah’s Pro-Hamas Tweets
FARAGE RESPONDS TO “PONCEY” JIBE FARAGE RESPONDS TO “PONCEY” JIBE
PM: “EXTRAORDINARY” NAZ SHAH STILL HAS LABOUR WHIP PM: “EXTRAORDINARY” NAZ SHAH STILL HAS LABOUR WHIP
SHADOW CABINET SPLIT: LISA NANDY TELLS CORBYN TO SACK NAZ SHAH SHADOW CABINET SPLIT: LISA NANDY TELLS CORBYN TO SACK NAZ SHAH
TREASURY CAN PREDICT FUTURE TO 2030, CAN’T WORK OUT COST OF BREXIT REPORT TREASURY CAN PREDICT FUTURE TO 2030, CAN’T WORK OUT COST OF BREXIT REPORT
NAZ SHAH EMPLOYED “ZIO”-HATER AS TAXPAYER-FUNDED AIDE NAZ SHAH EMPLOYED “ZIO”-HATER AS TAXPAYER-FUNDED AIDE
NAZ SHAH RUNS CHARITY WITH ANTI-SEMITIC LABOUR COUNCILLOR NAZ SHAH RUNS CHARITY WITH ANTI-SEMITIC LABOUR COUNCILLOR
FRANK FIELD’S LEFT-WING CASE FOR BREXIT FRANK FIELD’S LEFT-WING CASE FOR BREXIT
NAZ SHAH COMPARED ISRAELIS TO HITLER NAZ SHAH COMPARED ISRAELIS TO HITLER
FREE ADVERTISING WORTH £135,000-A-WEEK FOR REMAIN CAMPAIGN FREE ADVERTISING WORTH £135,000-A-WEEK FOR REMAIN CAMPAIGN
NAZ SHAH RESIGNS AS JOHN MCDONNELL’S PPS NAZ SHAH RESIGNS AS JOHN MCDONNELL’S PPS
BBC DID REVEAL HILLSBOROUGH VERDICT YESTERDAY BBC DID REVEAL HILLSBOROUGH VERDICT YESTERDAY
NAZ SHAH: “THE JEWS ARE RALLYING” NAZ SHAH: “THE JEWS ARE RALLYING”
JUNIOR DOCTORS: IT’S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY JUNIOR DOCTORS: IT’S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY