Back in 2013 the Mirror splashed on UKIP’s Alex Wood “giving a sick Nazi salute”. Many others saw a bloke reaching to grab the camera-phone with his left-hand – which was exactly what he claimed. The story drove the lefty Twitterati wild with glee, confirming their prejudices about UKIP being a bunch of racists. Today the Mirror say in a statement:
“In print and online articles in April and May 2013 we said that Alex Wood, who was standing for UKIP in the May 2013 local elections in Somerset, had been photographed making a ‘Nazi salute’. We also said that he had made racist comments on Facebook.
We now accept that these allegations were wrong and there is no reason to believe that Mr Wood is a racist or a Nazi. The photograph, one of a series of photographs appearing on his Facebook page, was taken out of context. Mr Wood was reaching out to stop a friend taking a photo on a mobile phone. The comments on Facebook purportedly made by Mr Wood were not made by him and the police have confirmed that they were not made by Mr Wood.
We apologise to Mr Wood for the allegations made and any hurt and distress caused as a result. We hope this apology will go some way to repairing Mr Wood’s reputation.”
Despite UKIP vehemently denying the claim at the time, it only took ’em two years to say sorry…
Like many journos overwhelmed with genuine UKIP racism stories, I tweeted/linked to original story too. Wrongly. https://t.co/Pu8tezVdvJ
— Mehdi Hasan (@mehdirhasan) August 7, 2015
All those who were quick to pile in at the time will be following the Mirror and Mehdi’s mea culpa, right?