Big shoes to fill at the Mail on Sunday as Simon Walters leaves for the Daily Mail after 19 years. As ever, MediaGuido brings you your runners and riders…
- Glen Owen: The clear early favourite, Owen is the current deputy pol ed at the MoS, a hard hitter with a track record of scoops. If anyone can conjure a splash out of thin air Walters-style it’s him.
- Brendan Carlin: Another veteran of the MoS political desk, Carlin is a proven scoop-getter who knows Westminster inside out.
- Jason Groves: With the Mail poaching the MoS pol ed, might the MoS try to pinch the Mail’s?
- Jack Doyle: Then there is the Mail’s executive political editor. Has impressed with recent scoops on the Trump visit and Dominic Grieve’s secret Remoaner meeting.
- Harry Cole: The Sun’s Westminster correspondent and scoop of the year winner would certainly deliver stories week in, week out. Wouldn’t be the first time he has provided the MoS with a splash.
- Steven Swinford: Has emerged as one of the Lobby’s best scoop-getters since he became the Telegraph’s deputy pol ed.
- Joe Murphy: The Standard pol ed is in tune with the MoS’s potential new direction and gets stories. Would probably be happy to stop getting up at 4 am.