Daily Mail Editor Runners and Riders
Fevered speculation overnight as to who will be the next Daily Mail editor following Paul Dacre’s resignation. There is talk a successor has already been found. As ever, Guido brings you your runners and riders…
- Tony Gallagher – Was Mail deputy before he became editor of the Sun in 2015. Might he be tempted to return?
- Geordie Greig – Or could the Mail on Sunday editor move over? Greig is a huge Remainer so it would be quite a change of direction.
- Gerard Greaves – Mail deputy editor, recently poached from the MoS. If a successor has already been found it will be someone like him.
- Ted Verity – The other Mail deputy editor. Serious candidate but is he ready for the leap?
- Ben Taylor – Currently the Mail’s executive news editor. Some smart money going on him in Northcliffe House.
- Martin Clarke – Editor of MailOnline. Long-time rival of Dacre. But the only Mail employee mentioned in his letter to staff last night…
- Chris Evans – Telegraph editor. He’s done really well there.
- George Osborne – A move to a Mail title seems like a sensible next step in the career of this up-and-coming journalist.
- Boris Johnson – Did not rule himself out last night. (Sure he was joking.)
- Michael Gove and Sarah Vine job share – Alas they have loftier ambitions.