So who will replace Vaz as Home Affairs select committee chair? It will be a Labour MP, so it’s the most influential job any exiled moderate is going to get for a while.
- Chuka Umunna – Is running. Doesn’t have it in the bag though, he isn’t popular with Labour MPs who think he’s slippery and it’s worth remembering Tory MPs get a vote too. He’ll have a job wooing them.
- Yvette Cooper – A more popular choice. Would have the remnants of the old Brownite machine behind her, which still has sway with the PLP even if they are impotent among the party. Tories might back her too.
- Caroline Flint – May run if Yvette doesn’t. Has an almost Vazian approach to offering her opinion on every issue around via press release.
- Fiona MacTaggart – Tipped by the Staggers as likely to win the support of Labour’s female MPs. One of the richest MPs, she is worth millions.
- Owen Smith – The select committtee’s election is not until October. By which time Oily won’t be doing much.
Not much point in the Corbynistas putting anyone up. Chuka has a fight on his hands, the mood among Labour MPs is that they want a woman…