Who is in the running? As ever Guido gives you your runners and riders:
- Paul Nuttall – Tells Guido he is taking soundings. Would be a strong candidate to take forward the Red UKIP strategy of fighting Labour in the north. His coveting of the job did not go unnoticed by Team Nige over the last few months. Hopefully he wouldn’t have to give up his Sunday Sport column.
- Steven Woolfe – Says to Guido that he will make a decision once he has consulted with his wife. Stayed noticeably neutral during the UKIP wars of last May, could he be the unity candidate? One of UKIP’s better TV performers, he is ambitious and has the back story. Expect him to run.
- Diane James – Touted as a future leader for years, had once been seen as a major rising star but is partial to a gaffe. Nige has always said UKIP’s next leader could be a woman.
- Peter Whittle – UKIP’s London mayoral candidate has just ruled himself out.
- Suzanne Evans – Wants the job but there is one major problem. She is suspended and isn’t actually in the party.
- Douglas Carswell – The Faragists will stop at nothing to prevent this happening. There are moves to kick him out at tonight’s NEC meeting.
Who are you backing?
UPDATE: Bookies’ odds via Betfair:
Woolfe EVENS, Nuttall 7/4, Evans 3/1, Carswell 6/1, Diane James 6/1, Reckless 6/1