Telegraph Bloodbath: New Jobs Cull Underway

The Telegraph has begun another round of job cuts. Several journalists were informed yesterday that they would be losing their jobs, including the respected Home Affairs correspondent David Barrett, who has been there nearly eight years. That decision has caused particular consternation because the paper is currently in the middle of a ‘Border security’ campaign. It is rumoured there will not be a replacement and that the Home Affairs role will be picked up by the Lobby. Today’s Telegraph runs such top scoops as “Man trolls neighbour with pro-Brexit sign”, but the paper doesn’t have a Home Affairs correspondent. It’s as if bosses are implementing a Vietcong strategy: take one out and everyone wants to leave…

Also hitting morale is the closure of the canteen at Buckingham Palace Road. Hacks are expected to be in the newsroom at 5:30 a.m. and previously relied on the canteen for a hearty breakfast of sausages, beans and eggs to get them through the morning. Now they are being told by stingy bosses to bring packed lunches…

UPDATE: MediaGuido hears at least a dozen senior Telegraph journalists have lost their jobs this afternoon.

UPDATE II: MediaGuardian says among those culled are deputy editor Liz Hunt, feature writer Harry Wallop, Middle East editor Richard Spencer, head of arts and entertainment Andrew Pettie, and chief foreign correspondent Colin Freeman.

mdi-tag-outline Telegraph
mdi-timer May 24 2016 @ 11:29 mdi-share-variant mdi-twitter mdi-facebook mdi-whatsapp mdi-telegram mdi-linkedin mdi-email mdi-printer
Home Page Next Story

Comments are closed