There has been some chatter that for electability reasons Sadiq Khan was distancing himself from Jeremy Corbyn – the actual evidence shows the opposite. Corbyn’s core backers are throwing their efforts into putting Khan in City Hall, not just out of gratitude to Sadiq for nominating Jeremy for Labour leader, it is as an essential effort in self preservation. If Khan loses, Corbyn will have demonstrably failed his highest profile electoral test…
The evidence is that the Corbynistas are putting their left-wing muscle behind Khan:
- Sadiq’s campaign HQ is the TSSA union HQ. The left-wing TSSA union were early backers of Jeremy Corbyn for Leader.
- The TSSA have seconded a campaign staffer full-time to Sadiq’s campaign.
- The TSSA gave Khan a £10,000 cash donation.
You might say that it would be unusual for a London tube union to not try and get a Labour candidate for mayor in their pocket. Khan of course publicly says he backs a Night Tube service – as do 78% of London voters – the TSSA oppose it and will naturally want to collect repayment of their favours if Khan wins. That would not be unexpected, a relatively normal quid pro quo by the corrupt standards of London’s loony left.
That would be if it were not for who else is based in the TSSA building where Sadiq runs his phone banking:
Momentum Campaign (Services) Limited’s two controlling directors are:
- Simon Fletcher – Red Ken’s former consigliere and now Corbyn’s chief-of-staff.
- Jon Lansman the veteran Bennite and key “Jeremy for Leader” campaigner now turned purger-in-chief of Momentum.
Judge Khan’s campaign by the company he keeps….