IPCC Chair Runners and Riders
Following Gaia Fawkes’ revelation that the long time chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Rajendra Pachauri, had attempted to suppress sexual harassment allegations, Pachauri has stepped down, leaving the top IPCC job up for grabs. Three candidates have been nominated by their respective governments and another three are thought to be considering:
- Jean-Pascal van Ypersele: Belgian vice-chairman of the IPCC. Famous for blaming the Climategate on the Russian secret service.
- Thomas Stocker: Swiss co-chair of the IPCC’s physical science working group. Is well known for wanting to reverse the IPCC’s current position of not being policy-prescriptive.
- Chris Field: American co-chair of the IPCC’s impacts and adaptation working group. He believes the “world is staring down the barrel of climate change.”
- Hoesung Lee: South Korean vice-chair IPCC vice-chair. Claims to be a scientist – is an economist.
- Nebojsa Nakicenovic: Austrian. Another economist.
- David Griggs: British, probably marginally less likely to be completely corrupt.
- Jeremy Clarkson: Well, he’s looking for work.
They sound like a reasonable bunch…