So who is in the running to replace Nigel Evans as Deputy Speaker? Election rules state that the First Deputy Chairman of Ways and Means is elected from the same side of the House as the Speaker, so that should mean another Tory will take the £102,000-a-year job. Tony Grew has some early favourites:
- Charles Walker – One of the MPs who knifed Martin, said to be Bercow’s choice.
- Gary Streeter – Believes in faith healing.
- Chris Chope – Barrister and son of a judge would be able to keep order.
- Alan Beith – A possibility if the Tories decide to go outside their party.
- Eleanor Laing – Would probably try to ban 38 Degrees.
- Brian Binley – Nigel Evans’ flatmate.
Tim Loughton isn’t up to much and it might stop him moaning, Gerald Howarth is making too much money and Chris Pincher would be a bit risky. Personally Guido would like to see Michael Fabricant elevated, or Jacob Rees Mogg or Nadine! Meanwhile Evans is giving a personal statement to the House after PMQs at 12:30…