Apathy All Round: The Stats So Far
The people have spoken, and the undoubted winner of last night’s by-elections and PCC plebiscites is the increasingly anti-politics Guidoisation of the British public. Here are the key stats so far:
- Ed’s former deputy chief of staff Lucy Powell took Manchester Central with a turnout of 18.2%, the lowest turnout in a by-election since the Second World War.
- The Tories lost their deposit, and only beat UKIP by five votes.
- Almost 75% chose not to vote as Labour held Cardiff South.
- Tory Angus MacPherson won the Wiltshire PCC election on a turnout of 15.8%.
- Turnout in Coventry for the West Midlands PCC election was 10.9%.
- Some polling stations have reported turnout as low as 3%.
Meanwhile UKIP’s odds in Corby have come in from 120/1 to 6/1 and Prezza is under pressure…