Margaret Moran Accused
Margaret Moran’s expenses trial got under way this morning, even if the former Labour MP’s mental health means she will not appear in the dock herself.
Moran is alleged to have claimed some £53,000 in false expenses. Here are the nine counts that were read out in court earlier today:
- Count 1: Claiming £575.78 for a washing machine, fridge and kettle for her 2nd home in London, though they were really for her main home in Luton.
- Count 2: Claiming £181.37 for a locksmith at her office. The work was done at her main home in Luton.
- Count 3: Claiming £87.09 for gas fire repair at second home. The work was done at her main home.
- Count 4: Claiming £527.20 for a bed and £2678.76 for carpets for her 2nd home. They were really for her main home.
- Count 5: Claiming £979.84 for an estimate for kitchen work. The work was never done.
- Counts 6 & 7: Using a bogus invoice and claiming £4756.40 for kitchen units that were never installed.
- Counts 8 & 9: Ten claims for utility bills totalling £2424 when the true cost was £286.35.
The trial continues…