Olympics In Numbers
- £2.4 billion: Initial budget estimate made by Labour when the bid was won in 2005.
- £9.3 billion: Final budget figure (revised when £2.4 bn number blown out of the water).
- £12 billion: Estimate of how much the Olympics has actually cost.
- £6.1 billion: Amount spent on equipment for Armed Forces in Afghanistan in each year leading up to Games.
- £185 million: Price of each Team GB medal (£12 billion / 65 medals).
- £45 million: Total funding of sports in which Team GB won no medals.
- £40 million: Figure we parted with to build a state-of-the-art handball stadium.
- 40,000: Number of hotel rooms for the Olympic Family paid for by the taxpayer.
- £200: How much each taxpayer contributed to the Games.