The BBC internal wires are circulating this account of how last night’s Joyce episode began. Look North reporter Joe Inwood’s report has worked its way into Guido’s inbox:
- Andrew Percy MP was hosting an event for the Speaker of the Canadian Parliament, at which Stuart Andrew MP was a guest.
- The night had progressed, and the speaker (and family) had left.
- Eric Joyce was also in the bar, and was having a conversation with Alec Shelbrooke MP.
- Andrew Percy had gone to the bar and on his way back asked to get past AS and EJ.
- EJ was then heard (by eye witness) to say something along the “no you can’t. I’m fed up with this place. It’s full of f###ing Tories.”
- Somehow this confrontation ended with Andrew Percy being pushed to a wall.
- At this point Stuart Andrew stood up and told him (EJ) to stop.
- IT IS ALLEGED THAT At this point EJ then grabbed SA by the tie, pushing him up against a wall.
- AP had gone to get the police, who promptly surrounded Joyce, although did not restrain him.
- Eric Joyce IS SAID TO HAVE objected to his treatment, saying they could not do this to an MP.
- IT IS CLAIMED THAT he then, whilst surrounded by police launched himself at SA, head butting him and punching him.
They go on to confirm that this window was broken during Joyce’s removal.
Tomorrow we might write about something else…