With Fox looking more and more likely to walk today, it’s time to turn attention to who might take over:
- Andrew Mitchell – Been deadly silent all week, has had it in for Fox for months, known on the international stage.
- Philip Hammond – Mr Clean Up.
- Sir Malcolm Rifkind – Was heavily tipped to take over if Hague had to walk, and has been brought out as an elder statesman this summer.
- David Davis – An easy “one out, one in” for the Tory right but Dave said to still be sceptical.
- Owen Paterson – The “happily married”* Northern Ireland Secretary has impressed in his brief.
- Chris Grayling – Demoted after a poor election campaign, about time for a comeback?
- Jeremy Browne – LibDem outrider, right-winger in the FCO.
- Paddy Ashdown – Popular bar talk for LibDems but unlikely.
- IDS – More than qualified but said to be very happy where he is.
The bookies have stopped taking bets on Fox to go and you can put your money on his successor here.