Guido Fawkes “Is Hollobone there?”
Guido Fawkes “Can I speak to him?”
Guido Fawkes “Thanks.”
Guido waits patiently.
Office “It is me.”
It turns out that the reason he is some £23,340 cheaper than even Dennis Skinner (£67,891) is that he doesn’t employ any office staff. He answers his own correspondence (he can type) and he says dealing with constituents is his favourite part of the job. So it is no surprise that he is rated in the top decile for responsiveness by WriteToThem.com, whereas Liam Byrne, despite all his staff and great expense, comes 158th.
According to data from TheyWorkForYou.com, Philip Hollobone
- Has spoken in 105 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 194 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Is a member of 2 select committees.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2006, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 87% of votes in parliament — well above average amongst MPs.
How is it that he can be an excellent constituency MP for a third of the average cost of the rest?
*Thanks to Bloomberg for doing the number crunching.