UPDATE: Seiken speaks:
“I’m proud of how the Telegraph has become a digital leader, and I’m gratified that the Telegraph has seen such a large growth in its digital audience. The company has a great future and will continue to thrive. I wish all my colleagues at the Telegraph the very best for the future.”
And TMG chief executive Murdoch MacLennan says:
“We completely understand Jason’s regrettable decision to move on to new opportunities now that he has completed his work here. He has been a much valued colleague, providing a great deal of input into identifying future strategy for the Telegraph Media Group to ensure we remain a world-class and commercially successful media organisation. We wish him well.”
Handbags over in The Lobby as the Telegraph un-invite any hack not from the Telegraph to a Telegraph/Ad Week event with Lynton Crosby:
After briefing the event out, invitations have now been withdrawn. Yet something tells Guido the national media are going to turn up anyway…
The Telegraph ran what appeared to be something of an exclusive this week, reporting that GCHQ are telling business to consider stripping smart phones from staff in order to avoid cyber attacks. Ben Riley-Smith bragged about documents “seen by The Telegraph” that warn firms that their employees are the weakest link in the security chain.
Where did the Telegraph get hold of these top secret documents? Surely they’re not this publicly available advice first published by GCHQ three years ago?
“UKIP candidate gets date of General Election wrong on campaign poster” claimed the Telegraph this morning, publishing a leaflet from soon to be red-faced candidate John Tennant, who had embarrassingly told voters to turn out on May 6 instead of May 7.
Just one problem with the story: the leaflet was from 2010, when polling day was May 6. Whoops!
UPDATE: The Telegraph have now pulled the story.
The Telegraph were clearly taken with the government’s line yesterday that the organisation most at fault for failing to prevent the Lee Rigby murder was Facebook, running it on their front page this morning. Odd then, that the story is not available anywhere on the Telegraph website. A spokesman would only say that not everything in the paper makes it online, but this was the second main story on the front page. Why would the Telegraph unlike it?
UPDATE: And just like that, the article has now been published online here.
Last night the Telegraph dismissed the Guardian as “cushioned from commercial reality by a generously-endowed charitable trust”, this afternoon they accuse them of hypocrisy:
“in July last year Apple bought wraparound advertising on The Guardian’s website and stipulated that the advertising should not be placed next to negative news.
In his withering resignation statement Peter Oborne revealed the final straw that left him with no choice but to quit:
“On 22 September Telegraph online ran a story about a woman with three breasts. One despairing executive told me that it was known this was false even before the story was published.
In their response to Peter Oborne’s explosive resignation, the Telegraph strenuously denied allegations the distinction between editorial content and advertising is being blurred:
“We aim to provide all our commercial partners with a range of advertising solutions, but the distinction between advertising and our award-winning editorial operation has always been fundamental to our business.
Five years ago I was invited to become the chief political commentator of the Telegraph. It was a job I was very proud to accept. The Telegraph has long been the most important conservative-leaning newspaper in Britain, admired as much for its integrity as for its superb news coverage.
The Telegraph, Mirror, Metro and Mail have all followed up Exaro’s top scoop that Leon Brittan has been buried in an unmarked grave for fear it would be vandalised. The MailOnline headline has however since been changed with no explanation, though the URL remains the same:
Why the subtle change?[…]