Wednesday, July 13, 2011

MPs Call For Piers Morgan To Give Evidence About Hacking

Three Conservative MPs have joined calls to see Piers Morgan answer questions about phone-hacking. Last week the Liberal Democrat MP Adrian Sanders implicated the Mirror in the hacking scandal:

“…the Daily Mirror, when under the auspices of Piers Morgan, is suspected of using voicemail interception to reveal Sven-Goran Eriksson’s affair with Ulrika Jonsson. Given that there are questions over Scotland Yard’s handling of the current case, it is essential that its actions are reviewed independently and that future action against suspected phone hackers does not remain solely the domain of the Met.”

As Lord Justice Leveson prepares his inquiry, a long list of witnesses will be drawn up. This must include executives, editors and hacks of the News of the World’s rivals. This is about more than Murdoch now. 

Aidan Burley MP | Nigel Adams MP | Douglas Carswell MP

Member of Parliament, Aidan Burley, told Guido:

“In the light of these new allegations about telephone hacking during his editorship of the Daily Mirror, Piers Morgan should be called to the phone-hacking inquiry to face questions on oath.”

Nigel Adams MP added:

“If evidence surfaces that Piers Morgan had some knowledge of phone hacking while he was in the newspaper industry, it would of course seem sensible to ask him to appear before the inquiry.” 

Douglas Carswell MP also called for Morgan to appear before Lord Leveson’s inquiry:

“Piers Morgan needs to come and explain what he knows about the vile practice of phone hacking and if he knew it was taking place at the Mirror.  No celebrity is too grand to come and answer questions.”

And it’s not just lawmakers who are on Morgan’s case. Kevin Bakhurst, the BBC News Channel’s boss told Guido this morning that the BBC was actively pursuing the Morgan story and he had already invited Piers to explain on air via Twitter. Sky News have also given him an opportunity to clear his name live on Sky. Never like Piers to ignore some airtime…

 

UPDATE: Another Tory MP weighs in, with Louise Mensch stating:

“At the very least Mr Morgan should answer the allegations put forward by a prominent UK blog. It is also clear to me that the inquiry must cover not only News International, but Trinity Mirror Group, Associated Newspapers and other tabloid organisations.”

UPDATE II: In New York Business Insider says:

“It’s sounding less and less likely that CNN’s Piers Morgan is going to manage to stay free of the Murdoch phone-hacking scandal engulfing Britain…
…CNN had no comment when we reached out to them yesterday regarding the report.”

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Huhne Worried About Allegations

It took less than 24-hours to unravel, especially with Andrew Neil’s tweeted aside that Gordon swore to “end” Murdoch when he deserted Labour. But Brown is not the only one with an axe to grind. Taking a break from threatening his children and framing his wife, Chris Huhne found time for a rare TV appearance. The fit and proper Secretary of State said allegations that have surfaced were “very dangerous indeed” and “a real problem”. For Murdoch that is.

Huhne went on to criticise the Sunday Times. What could his beef with them possibly be?

Monday, July 11, 2011

Huhne Hiding Behind His Son
Only 5% Polled Believe His Story

Another uncomfortable weekend for Chris Huhne. On the same morning he popped up to question David Cameron’s judgement in employing Andy Coulson, his own personal failings were laid bare across two newspapers. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but it’s pretty rich from someone using emotional blackmail against his teenage son. Huhne threatened him that his mother will go to jail, in a bid to try and get the A-level student to silence her. The police have the messages as a key piece of evidence…

In the election Huhne used pictures of his infant family in his campaign literature, just weeks later he would be exposed for cheating on them. “Where would he be without his family?” one leaflet asked. Well on the moral high-ground for starters.

A YouGov poll has shown that 60% of the public doubt Huhne’s story, with only 5% believing he is innocent of the original speeding offence. 40% say he should walk right now. The lengths to which Huhne is ready to go, to save his career, including using his children as a human-shield against his wife, shows just what sort of man we are dealing with here.

As the weeks go on and the evidence piles up, you will see the true make of the man when he is cornered… 

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Huhne Discusses Resignation

In a rare media appearance, Chris Huhne popped up on the Today program this morning. “I am saying there is no truth in those allegations” he claimed. An odd choice of words when he reportedly told the police “no comment”. We all know what you are saying Chris, we just don’t believe you. Apparently “incompetence is not necessarily a matter for resignation…” 

Forcing your wife to break the law, and instigating a cover up, is though.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Devine Complains That His Lies Were Reported

Jim Devine has ranted against Guido in a letter to the prisoners’ rag Converse. He claims that because of the internet he did not get  a fail trial as his reputation was “trashed”. Only one person trashed Jim Devine’s reputation and that was Jim Devine, not least with his car-crash TV confession.

Forging VAT numbers and invoices didn’t help either.

“Along with my parliamentary colleagues my public and private reputation was trashed on the internet… I know several senior MPs that are very concerned about the ability of an individual to receive a fair trial in the internet age.”

Devine also claimed that several senior MPs told him it was fine to fiddle his expenses. Something the judge branded him a liar for. Guido is proud of the role we played in bringing Devine to justice. This unedifying moaning only serves to trash his name further.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

+ + + Sunday Times Hand Over Huhne Tape + + +

Roy Greenslade reveals in his Standard column today that the Sunday Times’ lawyers have declared that there are no legal grounds for appealing the court order demanding that they hand over of their Pryce/Huhne tape and documentation to Essex Police. The hour is getting late Chris. Time to reach for your simple sword of truth and that trusty shield of British fair play.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Silent Pryce Smirks at Points

Given Vicky Pryce is demanding that the BBC did not mention the allegations she made against her estranged husband as a condition of her touring the TV studios to talk about Greece, full points to Krishnan Guru Murphy for sticking the boot in:

Wonder if she smirked like that in front of the police? She might as well have winked to the camera…

UPDATE: Krishnan also asked “The Donald” if he was wearing his own hair. He explains himself here, must be something in the water on Grays Inn Road…

Video via Liar Politicians.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Huhne Coppers Meet With Prosecutors

PA is suggesting that Essex Police had a face to face meeting on Friday with the CPS to discuss Chris Huhne’s speeding points. The inquiry is on going, but the police must be confident enough that they have a case if they are actively seeking face time the prosecutors…

Huhne was out of the country last week, he might wish he’d stayed there…

Friday, June 3, 2011

Justice Catches Up With John Edwards

Former Democratic Vice-President nominee, and utter sleaze-ball, John Edwards has been formally charged with six counts over the cover-up he instigated about his affair with a campaign staffer. While his wife was dying of cancer, Edwards used funds raised for his abortive bid against Obama and Hillary in 2007/08 to silence his lover. Guess which British wannabe party leader made payments to his mistress and former campaign staffer…

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

+ + + Tory Lord Taylor Gets 12 Months + + +

Lord Taylor would not be going to prison for a year without a combination of bloggers and Jonathan Calvert of the Sunday Times. Taylor, a former barrister, dishonestly claimed £11,277. For background on the case see Pesky Bloggers Do It Again (Nov, 2009). Amusingly he claimed to a co-conspirator on the Lords of the Blog not long before being charged that:

“For your information, the police have examined my expenses. The police are satisfied that there has been no impropriety or any other cause for concern. They have thanked me for my cooperation, and will not be taking the matter further.”

Alas that turned out to be untrue when it was challenged by a co-conspirator, that very claim on his blog set in course a chain of events that led to him going down today. He would have got away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky bloggers…


Seen Elsewhere

Dave Will Never Be Forgiven if Ed Becomes PM | Trevor Kavanagh
What is Dave’s Big Message? | Tim Montgomerie
Voting UKIP Only Helps Ed | Boris
Only Tory-UKIP Deal Can Stop Labour Win | Dan Hannan
Tories Need to Be Party of Ideas | Laura Perrins
Main Parties Can Only Dream of UKIP’s Grassroots | Matthew Walsh
The Short Comings of Brooks Newmark MP | John Sargeant
Why Reckless Lost Faith in Cameron | Spectator
Tory Minister Brooks Newmark Quits Over Sex Scandal | Mirror
Sajid Javid: Britain’s First Asian PM? | Mail
Boris Audit: the Man Who Would Be King | New Statesman


VOTER-RECALL
Find out more about PLMR


Mark Reckless told UKIP…

“We are more than a star on someone else’s flag.”



cynic says:

Can anyone help me? I went on holiday a week ago and returned to find someone has pulled out the stake and Gordon Brown is back and acting as Prime Minister. What did I miss? Has there been a snap election?


Tip off Guido
Web Guido's Archives

Subscribe me to:






RSS


AddThis Feed Button
Archive


Labels
Guido Reads
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,477 other followers