Don’t miss out on all the latest gossip in Guido’s Sun on Sunday column:
Just 70p in the shops or just £1 a month to subscribe online…
This week 111,393 visitors visited 339,807 times viewing 584,789 pages. The top stories in order of popularity were:
As polling of Conservative Grassroots tells their party to ditch plain packaging for cigarettes and Farage is making this an issue to smoke out Tories for UKIP:
“We are now on the verge of a Conservative-led government going for plain packaging on cigarettes. I can scarcely believable how stupid these people are are. It’s been tried in Australia and it’s been manna from heaven for organised crime and for counterfeiters. It is a daft and stupid thing to do. Frankly, if you’re going to have plain packaging for cigarettes, why not on a bottle of Pernod, or a bottle of beer, or on a Krispy Kreme doughnut? Where does this end? I think the state is really far, far outreaching itself.”
Public health nanny Jane Ellison should ask herself how many votes she is sending UKIP’s way…
1. He doesn’t come over very well on TV:
2. Axelrod has worked for several disgraced or failed politicians. These include Italian technocrat Prime Minister Mario Monti, who was booted out of office last year after only managing to win 10% of the vote following his 2013 Axelrod-managed campaign.
3. Axelrod started out young working for the machine politician Richard M. Daley, the Chicago mayor whose administration was always mired in corruption.
4. He also worked for Eliot Spitzer, who infamously resigned as Governor of New York over a hookers scandal. Rod Blagojevich, the former Governor of Illinois who is now serving a 14 year prison term for corruption. John Edwards, who was indicted for allegedly using campaign funds to cover up an extra-marital affair. Adlai Stevenson III, whose disastrous campaign for Governor of Illinois in 1986 was described by Axelrod himself as a “nightmare“.
An Axelrod is a device to keep the wheels from falling off a vehicle.—
Mark Sparrow (@MarkGSparrow) April 18, 2014
6. He was frozen out of the Whitehouse by an ungrateful Obama and Jim Messina who sent him packing back to Chicago. Jim Messina was hired by the Tories last year. Despite both being Democrats who worked for Obama, they hate each other.
7. Richard Wolffe in his book “The Message: The Reselling of President Obama“ described Axelrod as “insecure” and “fretted about his status, not least after getting pushed out of the West Wing, and he loved to be courted by TV producers. The fleeting fame of TV punditry offered some comfort from the harsh critique that came from internal political disputes…”. Wolffe writes that Axelrod is “scattershot”, “indecisive” and “shambling” and a man who would “drip” food on whatever shirt or tie he happened to be wearing. No wonder he gets on well with Ed Miliband…
8. Weirdly considering he’s just agreed to advise Ed, he believes personality is more important than policy: “the candidate is the message. The important thing is to tell a positive story about the candidate rather than to muddy the narrative with lots of talk about policy details.“
9. He was a partner in the consultancy firm AKPD, also hired by Labour as part of the package. Which suggests the party doesn’t think Blue Stage Digital alone is cutting the mustard tweeting infographics. The last presidential campaign AKPD worked on before Obama was Al Gore. He lost.
10. It is spelt “A X E L R O D”.
This morning wee Dougie told the Today programme that Axelrod has a winning track record. His CV suggests otherwise…
New City minister Andrea Leadsom achieves fame at last on the front page of the Indy today over her Margaret Hodge-style inheritance tax reducing trusts. Which reminds Guido that now she’s has been promoted to the Treasury that leaves a vacancy on the Downing Street Policy Board. Headed by Jo Johnson, the Policy Board is a Conservative party body, not to be confused with the No. 10 Policy and Implementation Unit. Whereas the Policy Unit shapes government policy, the Policy Board is a party instrument set up specifically to take views from backbench MPs. Some say it is merely a tool for backbench party management and a bauble for ambitious MPs. That may be.
Downing Street need someone who is not a yes-man, someone who is respected by his colleagues and someone who can bring radical, reforming ideas to the table.
They should look no further than Douglas Carswell… would he take the job?
In a Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday voters strongly backed Carswell’s ideas. Carswell should surely have a hand in writing the Tory manifesto…
Last September after Assad used chemical weapons, Axelrod wrote
After Iraq, folks are justifiably weary and leery. But this isn’t Iraq. In plain sight, Assad’s committed mass murder with hideous weapons. No response would be a green light to Assad, Iran, Hezbollah and others that the U.S. and world will look the other way. Grave mistake. A targeted strike on their delivery systems is right, just and proportionate. Failure to act would be another tragic legacy of Iraq war.
If as reports suggest he was hired by Shadow Foreign Secretary Dougie Alexander, that will have made foreign policy position discussions interesting…
UPDATE: He has just tweeted:
Only snag is US unemployment rate is basically unchanged since when Obama was elected.
Miliband has snapped up Obama’s campaign chief David Axelrod to be his strategic adviser for 2015. It didn’t take long for Wikipedia to report the move:
What he must think of his Twitter timeline Guido can only imagine:
So it’s Graf out and Axelrod in, a win for wee Dougie. He’ll be on a six-figure salary landing cash-strapped Labour in something of a cost-of-guru crisis. Remember to sort the work visa out this time, right chaps?
Presumably that means Brand will be giving up his:
Perhaps he could donate it all to foodbanks instead? Hypocrites of the world, unite…
Jason Groves New Mail Deputy Pol Ed | MediaGuido
Cocaine Conservatives | Standard
Jezza Browne Responds to LibDem Haters | LibDem Voice
Why Britain Needs to Leave the EU | Douglas Carswell
Who Tells Ed When He’s Wrong? | Speccie
Hands Off Our Cojones, Mr Clegg | Laura Perrins
London Live Averaging Just 2,400 Viewers | Forbes
Ed’s Constitutional Failure | ConHome
UKIP Poster Girl’s Naked Photos | Sun
Miliband’s Radical Old Labour Agenda | Fraser Nelson
Meet Team Miliband | Dan Hodges
Dan Hodges on Team Miliband:
“‘Poisonous’, was the picture painted by one former senior advisor. ‘Dysfunctional,’ said one shadow cabinet member. ‘A bunch of medieval courtiers, not an office,’ said another. The most positive description I could get was ‘It’s a work in progress. They’re learning. Slowly. But they are learning.’”