Coulson’s Guilt

The BBC just spent twenty-two minutes of a half hour news program talking about Coulson. Tom Watson has been granted emergency questions in the House and the lefty press are determined to keep this going. There is nothing new to the the reheated and rehashed allegations in the New York Times. Everyone knows journalists break the law to get stories. If newspaper investigations kept to the letter of the law more scandal would go uncovered.

The problem for Labour is how little they cared when they were in power. Why only in opposition has Alan Johnson finally decided to make some noise? He had far more power when he was Home Secretary. Unless there is firm evidence that Coulson ordered the hacks, which Guido suspects there won’t be, it’ll be hearsay from a disgruntled employee, and he will get away with it. Coulson is as guilty as sin of condoning that culture, but he’s already lost his job once over this. Remember that other newspapers – including the Guardian’s sister paper the Observer – also hacked phones. The hysterics are fake and will tire as real parliamentary business gets  underway. Guido’s sympathy is with whoever had to transcribe Prescott’s phone calls…

UPDATE : Bookies give Coulson a 75% chance of going before Conservative Party conference and only a 25% chance of him stayingGuido’s money is on him staying.

Polly Husband’s Poking of Pickles Perilous

David Walker, the not-quite-breadwinner of the Toynbee household and outgoing spinner for the Audit Commission, has written a politically fuelled diatribe against the scrapping of his non-job by Eric Pickles. Guido has mentioned before that Mrs Walker has expressed concern in the Guardian, but Walker’s piece for Public Finance is particularly scathing. Was the article jointly penned , like their upcoming book?

Guido’s ears in DCLG, while taking a break from admiring their new £15,000 £250 portrait of the Queen, suggested the piece was not befitting the code of behaviour expected of a civil servant.

Walker is contracted for the last two years of the Audit Commission, but at this rate he might be retiring to Tuscany sooner than he thinks…

Guido v Victoria

Quite an enjoyable ding-dong on the Victoria Derbyshire 5 Live show just now. You can be the judge of how it went when it is up on play again and we link to it on here.

Guido’s central thrust was that it was hypocritical for this blogger to be made a whipping boy by some of the pundits. Guido will be highlighting some of that hypocrisy on the blog soon…

UPDATE : Play from 5 minutes and 30 seconds in here.

Rich & Mark’s Monday Morning View

Saturday Seven Up

7upWell that was a busy week. It seems Guido’s exclusive insight into the LibDem candidate selection for Mayor sent visitor numbers through the roof. 98,359 readers viewed 458,551 pages over the last seven days. Here are those seven most popular stories (in order of popularity) that you might have missed:

You’re either in front of Guido, or you are behind…

Anyone Speak Chinese for Sally?

While she may be getting regular slots on Sky News and the Today program, “freelance journalist and Labour Party activist” Sally Bercow must know she has really made it when Chinese news channels are animating her colourful past…

Can anyone translate?

Friday Caption Contest (Fund-raising Edition)

BabyCam at Downing Street

Well there’s Saturday’s front pages sorted:

Aww.

UPDATE: Hats off to Dizzy for the headline “Florence Meets the Machine”.

The Turn

Another day and still the newspapers are poring over Hague’s statement. Many “experts” have been wheeled out to criticise the foolishness of opening up to such an extent with the Telegraph leading the angle. The also look at his voting […]

+ READ MORE +

The Office of Gordon and Sarah Brown

The official line is that Gordon will not be commenting on Blair’s confirmation that he was indeed a dreadful PM and appalling team-mate, but then we’ve all heard that before. Instead he has chosen today, randomly, to announce the setting […]

+ READ MORE +

LibDems Try To Hire Apprentice

Bad news for Lembit Opik – it seems that Cowley Street doesn’t have faith in his bid to be London Mayor. Much like the Tories were before Boris threw his hat in the ring, the LibDems are desperately seeking a […]

+ READ MORE +

Sorry, Mrs Fawkes

Guido is currently on holiday in France at the maison secondaire, last night we had 10 for supper and Mrs Fawkes was not amused with the constant interruptions from the Blackberry, it was for her de ja vu (Prescott’s […]

+ READ MORE +



Tip offs: 0709 284 0531
team@Order-order.com

Quote of the Day

The Donald asks what America wants from a President…

“I spent less, I won the most. Isn’t that what you want from your President for a little time?”

Top Posts This Week

Guidogram: Sign up

Subscribe to the most succinct 7 days a week daily email read by thousands of Westminster insiders.

Facebook

MP Referendum List: Leave Gain MP Referendum List: Leave Gain
Labour Reinstate Race Row Corbynista Labour Reinstate Race Row Corbynista
Watson’s Dodgy Flat Mate Watson’s Dodgy Flat Mate
Vote Leave Offer £50 Million Payout to Predict Euros Vote Leave Offer £50 Million Payout to Predict Euros
Thug Life: MP Offers to Take “Baseball Bat” Against Yobs Thug Life: MP Offers to Take “Baseball Bat” Against Yobs
Telegraph Bloodbath: Ian MacGregor ‘Not’ Demoted Telegraph Bloodbath: Ian MacGregor ‘Not’ Demoted
Corbyn Orders Review of Chaotic Office Corbyn Orders Review of Chaotic Office
CAT SMITH EXPENSES COVER UP CAT SMITH EXPENSES COVER UP
ETHNIC MINORITY BRITS BACK BREXIT ETHNIC MINORITY BRITS BACK BREXIT
REMAIN TAKES PROJECT FEAR TO CHURCH REMAIN TAKES PROJECT FEAR TO CHURCH
SOUBRY’S BIG NISSAN-DERSTANDING SOUBRY’S BIG NISSAN-DERSTANDING
JIM SHANNON ORDERED TO REPAY £14,000 EXPENSES JIM SHANNON ORDERED TO REPAY £14,000 EXPENSES
PAY “ONLY REAL RED LINE” FOR BMA JUNIOR DOCTOR LEADERSHIP PAY “ONLY REAL RED LINE” FOR BMA JUNIOR DOCTOR LEADERSHIP
NET MIGRATION UP 20,000 TO 333,000 NET MIGRATION UP 20,000 TO 333,000
POLICE INVESTIGATING TESSA MUNT ELECTION EXPENSES POLICE INVESTIGATING TESSA MUNT ELECTION EXPENSES
LEAVE.EU ON HOOK FOR £500,000 BREXIT GIG LEAVE.EU ON HOOK FOR £500,000 BREXIT GIG
TRUMP SINGS “WE’RE GONNA BUILD A WALL” TRUMP SINGS “WE’RE GONNA BUILD A WALL”
OZBOT VERSUS ANDROGENOID OZBOT VERSUS ANDROGENOID
EDDIE IZZARD’S HOTEL BILLS NOT LAWFULLY DECLARED EDDIE IZZARD’S HOTEL BILLS NOT LAWFULLY DECLARED
POLITICAL PARTY RICHLIST POLITICAL PARTY RICHLIST
EU PLOTS TAX ID NUMBERS FOR EVERY EUROPEAN CITIZEN EU PLOTS TAX ID NUMBERS FOR EVERY EUROPEAN CITIZEN
MUNT ADMITS SHE DIDN’T DECLARE LOCAL CAMPAIGN TRANSPORT MUNT ADMITS SHE DIDN’T DECLARE LOCAL CAMPAIGN TRANSPORT
OZBOT VERSUS ANDROGENOID OZBOT VERSUS ANDROGENOID
“Fat Cats For EU” “Fat Cats For EU”
“CHEATED” LIBDEM PICTURED CAMPAIGNING ON BATTLE BUS “CHEATED” LIBDEM PICTURED CAMPAIGNING ON BATTLE BUS
CHRISTINE HAMILTON HIRED ON THE PUBLIC PAYROLL CHRISTINE HAMILTON HIRED ON THE PUBLIC PAYROLL
CONSERVATIVES IN: SPOT THE DIFFERENCE CONSERVATIVES IN: SPOT THE DIFFERENCE
HULL UNIVERSITY THIRD TO DISAFFILIATE FROM NUS HULL UNIVERSITY THIRD TO DISAFFILIATE FROM NUS
CAMERON’S AIRFARE FABLE CAMERON’S AIRFARE FABLE
TELEGRAPH BLOODBATH: NEW JOBS CULL UNDERWAY TELEGRAPH BLOODBATH: NEW JOBS CULL UNDERWAY