As we go to pixel (7:28am), these are the local election results so far:
- UKIP is doing huge damage in the Labour heartlands of the North, gaining 86 seats overall with 59 councils declared and on course to win over 100.
- The BBC has UKIP on around 25% outside London but just 7% in London. UKIP telly star Suzanne Evans has lost her Merton seat.
- UKIP has done particularly well in Essex, where the Tories have lost control of four councils.
- The Tories have lost 101 seats overall.
- Labour has gained 94 seats.
- The LibDems have lost 84 seats.
- Mike Hancock has come third in Fratton, losing the seat he has held for 40 years. The LibDems lost control of Portsmouth council.
The first tremors are being felt…