Speculation over the Sky News political editor job has reached fever pitch. Screw the immigration bill, it’s all anyone in the Westminster village wants to talk about. Many ‘friends’ of delicate broadcast journalists have been in touch with MediaGuido, disappointed not to find their ‘friends’ name on our list of runners and riders. An announcement isn’t expected for several weeks at the least, though Guido hears that concerns have been raised about the prospect of an inky press man requiring months of training. Sky insiders say management want a candidate with significant broadcast experience, though that comes with very long notice periods. The latest names doing the round are:
- Jon Craig – hat in the ring.
- Gary Gibbon – dark horse.
- Andy Bell – Channel 5 news used to be in the same building as Sky – well liked there and heavily tipped.
- Chris Ship – Increasing speculation about ITV’s Deputy Political Editor.
- James Landale – Old Etonians. Everywhere.
Joining speculation about:
- Nick Watt
- George Parker
- Tom Newton Dunn
- Joey Jones
- Nick Robinson
Laura Kuenssberg is said to be out, and Cathy Newman was apparently approached but is apparently not interested. Guido is sitting by his phone patiently…