BREAKING FIRST ON MEDIA GUIDO:
A memo has just gone out to Indy and Standard staff:
- The Indy and Sunday editorial will be completely merged.
- The Sindy editor John Mullin is a goner.
- The Standard and Independent to move to the same floor.
- A TV studio will be built in the shared newsroom.
- Chris Blackhurst in charge of 7-day operation.
- Redundancies expected. The Standard is making money, the Indy isn’t.
Standard staff are jittery. One source tells Guido:
“The Standard’s staff – editorial, commercial and management – have turned things around against all expectations in the last few years and don’t want to lose their jobs to save the hugely loss-making Indy. There’s excitement about the TV stuff, but no one really knows what it will mean.”