- The fifty year old Oxford and LSE graduate has worked for Chancellors Lamont, Clarke and Brown.
- Became Blair’s Principal Private Secretary in 1999.
- Spent 2003 to 2007 at Morgan Stanley
- Returned to the Cabinet Office in 2007 in a strategy role for Gordon.
- Since January 2008 Heywood has been Permanent Secretary at Number 10.
Downing Street sources confirm he gets the promotion.
UPDATE: The FT report “A new “head of the civil service” will take over the admin responsibilities for the whole of Whitehall. Sir David Normington is to launch an internal competition to recruit this person. The Cabinet Office will have a new, dedicated permanent secretary. It is Ian Watmore, currently head of the Cabinet Office’s ‘efficiency and reform’ group.” GOD’s resignation letter is here.