Guido knows that hundreds of loafing lawyers read this blog, he also knows lawyers never do anything for free, so he is offering a reward of a copy of The Big Red Book of New Labour Sleaze to those who provide the best argued charges against Byers. Either post them in the comments or email them to Guido.Fawkes@Order-Order.com (entries will be anonymous, don’t worry).
According to Channel 4′s Dispatches, which worked on the joint investigation with the Sunday Times, Byers confessed that:
- He had secured secret deals with ministers.
- Could get confidential information from Number 10.
- Was able to help firms involved in price-fixing get round the law.
- Boasted he had struck a secret deal with Lord Adonis, the Transport Secretary, to terminate a rail franchise contract for a client, National Express.
- Persuaded Lord Mandelson, to amend regulations on food labelled on behalf of Tesco.
Byers now says he was lying, surely not the best defence to use in Court.